Thursday, September 4, 2008

Of Sarah Palin, teenage pregnancies, and Crush(es)

Republican John Mc Cain has recently chosen his running mate for the VP post, and it's a female.

Sarah Palin, 44 years of age and Governor of Alaska was named Mc Cain's vice presidential pick last weekend following the most talked about Democratic National Convention where Democrat candidate Barack Obama chose fellow Senator Joe Biden as running mate instead of choosing rival Hillary Clinton.

Palin's ascent to the vice presidential post intrigued me the most, considering the fact that it rans straight in contrast to Mc Cain's "tira" against Obama about being inexperienced. And it also intrigues me because of Sarah Palin's name....

If you noticed, the name Sarah Palin may sound Filipino.

'Di nyo pa na gets? Think again.

Sarah Palin is actually a compounded Tagalog phrase for "sarap sampalin"...

(Eto ang pruweba... ang phrase na "sarap sampalin" can be shortened to "sarapalin".... gets!?)

*****************************************************

Speaking of Sarah Palin, many have been saying that she is a pro-life public official and espouses abstinence-only education as opposed to explicit sex-ed programs in schools.

She has also said that she would permit abortion only in cases where the mother's life is in danger, and supports mandatory parental consent for abortions. She is also supportive of contraception.

But all of these pro-life statements are now put to test now that her daughter Bristol, 17 years old, is pregnant.

Bristol is just another case of the "Juno effect", a term named after the hit comedy flick "Juno" (which tackled the travails of a pregnant teen). Think Jamie Lynn Spears, or in the Philippines, think Valerie Concepcion who bore a kid in their early teens. This puts Sarah Palin's pro-life stance on the line....

Would she permit abortion on the baby if the pregnancy posts danger to her daughter's life? If she supports mandatory parental consent for abortion, would she have forced Bristol to abort the baby? If she is pro-contraceptive, why didn't she tell Bristol to use condoms or pills everytime her daughter has sex with a guy? Most of all, why didn't she tell Bristol to abstain from sex if she was pro-abstinence?

Now if Sarah Palin's name came from the Filipino word "sarap sampalin", her daughter Bristol could have been named Ma. Sarah Palin, short for "mas masarap sampalin".

Ouch!?

**************************
Recently, I have just listened to David Archuleta's now popular ditty "Crush" and I realized hey, it's not a bad song after all. I have been pro-David Cook during Archuleta's stint in "American Idol" but with this song, I have learned to appreciate his voice. So allow me to share the lyrics... and we sing along! This song is dedicated to all my crushes...and to my wife and kids!

CRUSH by David Archuleta

I hung up the phone tonight
something happened for the first time, deep inside
It was a rush, what a rush

Cause the possibility that you would ever
Feel the same way about me
It’s just too much, just too much
Why do I keep running from the truth
All I ever think about is you
You got me hypnotized, so mesmerized, and I just got to know

Do you ever think, when you’re all alone
All that we could be,
Where this thing could go
Am I crazy or falling in love
Is it real or just another crush
Do you catch a breath, when I look at you
Are you holding back, like the way I do
Cause I’m trying, trying to walk away
But I know this crush ain’t goin away, goin away

Has it ever crossed your mind when we were hanging
Spending time girl, are we just friends
Is there more, is there more

See it’s a chance we’ve gotta take
Cause I believe we can make this into
Something that will last, last forever, forever

Do you ever think, when you’re all alone
All that we could be, Where this thing could go
Am I crazy or falling in love
Is it real or just another crush
Do you catch a breath, when I look at you
Are you holding back, like the way I do
Cause I’m trying, trying to walk away
But I know this crush ain’t goin away, goin away

Why do I keep running from the truth
All I ever think about is you
You got me hypnotized, so mesmerized
And I just got to know

Do you ever think, when you’re all alone
All that we could be,
Where this thing could go
Am I crazy or falling in love

Is it real or just another crush
Do you catch a breath, when I look at you
Are you holding back, like the way I do
Cause I’m trying, trying to walk away
But I know this crush ain’t goin away, goin away

No comments: